February 4, 2011

Before and After

Share
Hi guys! Sorry for the infrequent updates. I've been slacking in my blogging. However, I've definitely not been slacking in my training. So as written in my Bulking Up post, I've set some goals for myself and the deadline was on 15th Jan. So how I did, I hear you ask. These after photos were taken on 17th Jan (aww, don't make a big fuss about two days). Visually, there's not much difference. But I certainly feel VERY different. Read on to find out what I mean.











And here are my stats. I did not reach my goals :( but come to think about it, I might have set my goals too high. After all, from the start of my program (10th Dec) until 28th Jan, I've made more progress and gains than I did in the past twelve months!

10th December 2010
Weight: 76kg
Chest: 40.5"
Waist: 32.25"
Arms: 15"
Thighs: 23.5"

17th January 2010
Weight: 79.5kg
Chest: 41.3"
Waist: 32.5"
Arms: 15.4"
Thighs: 23.8"

28th January 2010
Weight: 81.5kg
Chest: 42.2"
Waist: 32.5"
Arms: 15.7"
Thighs: 24"

And yes, right now, I can't wear many of my previously body-hugging clothes and many of my previously loose-fitting clothes are now tight! My strength levels has shot up too! I've gained 20kg in my bench press! As for my max squat and deadlift, it went up during the first few weeks but I have to tone it down due to a back sprain. More on that later. Many people noticed my gains. I'm back home in Kuala Lumpur now so my family members were astounded that I'm this big now.

Most importantly, in the process of training, dieting and making such gains, I've learnt loads. And I'll be sharing them with you guys in this post!


If you enjoy your life, working out won't seem like work at all
I was in Kuala Lumpur most of the time in December and it was the holidays. So,

School + Outings Everyday + Cheap and Delicious Food = Fun! Fun! Fun!

Needless to say, I jump out of bed everyday, looking forward to seize the day. When it's time to hit the gym, I'm all pumped up physically and mentally. In short, productivity went up! When I came back to Singapore, the inevitable happened - my stress levels increased (yes, Singapore is a very stressful country!). However, I try my best to make my stay in Singapore fun and now it is! It's funny when you have more fun, your productivity goes up instead of down. So try to love what you're doing, and you'll find yourself sincerely loving it more!

Form habits of eating, training and sleeping consistently
Go to the gym five times a week, eat six times a day. FORCE yourself to do it. At first, it will seem like slavery. After that, it's daily life. I'm going to the gym almost everyday now, even when I'm tired. I'm eating six times a day now, even if the meal has to be just a protein shake (although I try my best to get real food in).

When you're pushing yourself to the max, warming up and injury prevention becomes more important
That's right. And your lower back and rotator cuffs (shoulder joint) should get most of your attention. I lightly sprained my back while training in mid-December and my right shoulder in mid-January. Nothing serious, but the back injury was enough to hold my progress back. So remember, add an extra warm up set to your exercise routine if you're pushing your body to its limits.

Gains are addictive
Once you've gained a kilogram of muscle and your main lifts increased by several pounds, you'll be happy. And when that happens, what would wanna do? GAIN more muscles and strength! The compliments from the people who noticed the difference in you helps a lot too. So try your best to get the initial gain in muscle. It will be a great source of motivation and all you would want to do after that is to keep on going.

Bodybuilding contests are motivating
Let's face it. When you have an above-average body and you're with average people, you don't feel the need to push yourself. Some guy just added me on Facebook telling me that he's into bodybuilding and his profile picture is a shirtless photo of him. I asked him why would he post that photo on his profile and he actually thinks that he is muscular. But in actual fact... er... you get the idea.

Anyway, on January 22nd, I attended Muscle War 2011. And wow! Seeing so many bodybuilders in their best condition is really making me kiasu (afraid of losing) and motivated me to put in more effort in my training. So, attend bodybuilding contests, grab some popcorn (without caramel, please. and sprinkle some whey on it too) and imagine yourself on stage for the next contest!

Fat is good
Fuck the media for portraying fat to be evil! If you're eating a "healthy" cup of yoghurt which advertises to be 99% fat free but has 20% of sugars, throw that cup away now. When your fat intake is high, your body will definitely benefit from the better cholesterol profile and your workouts will improve. Plus, it's an efficient way to add calories to your bulking diet without increasing insulin-spiking carbs. And when I say fat is good, go crazy on the olive oil, not the junk food.

Last note: I promise to update Fabodylous more often.

Subscribe to Fabodylous!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails